Saturday, May 07, 2011

And the acquisitions continue....

Hello again. Well, the 45 acquisitions continue to pile up around these parts. Here's the latest batch. Some were scored off eBay, some from Ray Peters, some from the Indy Record Show and some from a new used record store that just opened in Fountain Square.

But before I begin, I need to say in passing that I am currently grieving the loss of my dog Max. It got to the point where he couldn't climb the steps to the house anymore and he was whimpering in constant pain. I could see that the only thing to do was to let Max go. I am very devastated, so please forgive my having to pass this along to you.

In the meantime, here we go:

Floyd Cramer: Flip Flop and Bop (RCA Victor) This guy is best known for his softer instrumental "Last Date" and I believe he was a top session player in Nashville. This song here is a piano rocker produced by Chet Atkins. Pretty keen for what it is.

Boots Brown and His Blockbusters: Cerveza (RCA Victor) He also had a version of "Chili Beans." which I also have. I believe this was a minor Top 40 hit in 1958. At least that's what the guy I bought this from wrote on the sleeve. Pretty kickin' instro with a Latin flair.

Los T.J.s: Pure De Papas (RCA Victor (Spanish) (This is one of my favorite pick-ups from the past month, a frantic take on "Hot Pastrami" with lots of screams and yells and a killer guitar break.)

Arthur 'Guitar Boogie' Smith: Philadelphia Guitar (Starday). Found this in the dollar bin and it's a red-hot guitar instro from a guy who first hit with "Guitar Boogie" for MGM in 1948 and recorded several records for that label.)

Mickey and Sylvia: There'll Be No Backin' Out (Vik) Pretty decent fast mover from the "Love Is Strange" duo. Anybody know what their best record is? Just curious.

Jimmy Maddin: Jeanie, Jeanie, Jeanie (Imperial) This is the original version of the same song Eddie Cochran covered. This has more of an R&B feel with a good guitar break.

The Five Dollars: Doctor Baby (Fortune) It's always worth picking up things on the Fortune label and this doo-wop number from a group that usually backed Andre Williams is no exception.

Jay Bentley and the Jet Set: Watusi '64 (GNP Crescendo) Good frat-style dancer. Don't know much about it but I do see it around a lot.

The Wolf Man: Strange (Okeh) Just what the title says, has Wolfman Jack-style vocals (could this be the real Wolfman Jack?) over a stompin' soul background.

The Coasters: The Shadow Knows (Atco) Typical Coasters greatness. "You better watch your P's and Q's and your M's and N's and O's, because The Shadow Knows!"

Etta James: The Wallflower (Modern) "Roll with me, Henry," later bowderized by Georgia Gibbs as "Dance With Me, Henry." This is the original and it's great.

Little Junior Parker: Stranded (Duke) Pretty good blues stomper from the guy who gave you "Sweet Home Chicago."

The Versatones: Bila/Tight Skirt (Fenway) According to my Goldmine guide, this is the second time this single's been issued. It's an upgrade copy of my Atlantic issue, which is all beat up. Both sides of this is off-the-wall doo wop madness of the highest order.

Little Richard: Dance What You Wanna (Vee Jay) Pretty good later Little Richard from 1965. He's also got a killer version of "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On" on this label from about the same period.

Freddy King: Double Eyed Whammy (King) Smokin' hot soul platter from a guy who's got a lot of killer sides, both vocal and instrumental (of course). Comes complete with the expected smokin' guitar work. Me thinks this smokes, get the picture?

Eddie Baxter: Fortune Cookie Parts 1 and 2 (Kapp) Pretty cool oriental instro.

Terry Noland: Patty Baby (Brunswick) Decent 50s rocker, a little too much emphasis on the backing vocal chorus.

Johnny Fortune: Surfer's Trip/Soul Traveler (Park Ave.) Excellent surf guitar two-sider from a guy who's cut quite a few of them, including "Soul Surfer" and "Dragster." From 1963.

Buddy Johnson: Rock It (Mercury) Big band blues bopper with rappin' vocals by Mr. Johnson. From 1957)

The Jive Bombers: Bad Boy (Savoy) Classic doo-wop heard in the end credits of John Waters' 1990 film "Cry Baby" (I think, though I could be wrong).

Stevie Wonder: We Can Work It Out (Tamla) Top 20 hit from 1971 in which Mr. Wonder funkifies the Beatles.

Chris Columbo: You Can't Sit Down (Battle) Interesting version of the Phil Upchurch/Dovells tune with emphasis on a coronet. Unfortunately fades out before the drummer gets to get some.

Clarence 'Frogman' Henry: Tore Up Over You (Parrot) 1965 oddity from the "Ain't Got No Home" moaner.

George Hamilton IV: If You Don't Know (ABC Paramount) The flip of "A Rose and a Baby Ruth" is this not bad rockabilly rocker.

Elmore James: Dust My Broom (Jewel) Killer blues as you can expect. Weird thing is that Elmore is mispelled on both sides. One side says "Elmo James," the other says "Elmer James." Weird.

Jimmy McGriff: Hello Betty (Sue) Typical killer organ stomper from Mr. McGriff.

Elvin Jones: Midnight Walk (Atlantic) Pretty keen jazz instro from this well-known drummer, both sides taken from his album.

Dickey Doo and the Don'ts: Ne Ne Na Na Na Na Nu Nu (Swan) Found this at last! Kool whacko instro that I dig a lot.

Little Willie John: Take My Love (I Want To Give It All To You) (King) Another winner from Mr. John, this one has him in a fast blues mode.

The Jives: I Want You (Tear Drop) Pretty cool Tex-Mex style funk.

Jimmy Patton: Ya I'm Movin'/Love Come Back To Me/Let Me Slide/I'm Not Shuckin' (Rollin' Rock) 1970s reissue of some really hot rockabilly that I do indeed dig.

Mae West and Somebody's Chyldren: Shakin' All Over (Tower) In which Ms. West brings her shimmyin' ways to rock 'n' roll. From an album called "Way Out West," I believe and pretty cool for what it is.

Mae West: Put The Loot in the Boot Santa (Dragonet) More West whackiness, this time for the holidays.

Sumpin' Else: Baby You're Wrong (Liberty) Pretty great garage rocker with some fuzz.

Eddie Bo: Dinky Doo (Ric) Not my favorite record from this New Orleans legend, but still pretty damn fine, even if a little too sweetened with strings.

There are a few others, but I need to listen to them a little more first. I've also got a few from last Sunday's record show that I have to go through. We will see.

Well, that about brings everything up to date as far as my record collecting goes. Hope you enjoyed reading it and hope to have a couple more things posted before too long. We will see.
.

10 comments:

Holly said...

Brian -

My condolences. I'm sure Max appreciated your love and unselfish strength - please try & keep that in mind when the nights (& days)seem far too lonely.

Sorry -

Holly :-(

Todd Lucas said...

I vote for "No Good Lover" as Mickey & Silvia's best. It must be posted on youtube.

On the Elmore James, "Dust My Broom" is an old classic of his and I believe the original issue of it was issued as by Elmo James. Perhaps the flip was originally issued as Elmer James.

vinylfool said...

RIP Max, up in doggie heaven.

What did you think of Larry and Jane's? I picked up a nice handful of Indiana 45s' last week. Thumbs up.
Didn't make it to the Indy show, but there will be more!

Todd Lucas said...

Yeah, I need to hear more about this new record store in Fountain Square.

Rick Wilkerson said...

Hey fellas...Larry and Jane's is a great spot. If you don't know him, Larry Goshen is a long-time Indiana musician (drummer) who's also a writer and photographer. He wrote the only two books on Indiana music that I'm aware of: Let the Good Times Roll: An Anthology of Indiana Music, and the earlier Indy's Heart of Rock'n Roll. Great guy, and I always find something interesting there. Jane is awesome too.

Todd Lucas said...

Thanks Rick, for the rundown on the new record store. I'll be in Indy over Memorial Day weekend. Looks like I need to check it out.

Unknown said...

I've gone down there a couple of times myself. They're a nice couple. The 45 section could use some work, though, but I have found a few interesting items there, so definitely check it out.

Devil Dick said...

we just had to put down our buddy "psycho" so i feel your pain.... we did get a new puppy "norman". as in norman bates...

great score too. u must a one billion 45's....


cheers!

dd

Anonymous said...

I second "No Good Lover;" Ivy mentioned it an interview w/ Guitar Player magazine some years ago so I sought it out. Have it on LP but don't know if it was released as a single.

Is the Terry Noland "Patty Baby" the same as Freddie Cannon one?

Wish I scored like you do with the 7 inchers.

Anonymous said...

JT in Grass Valley, CA.
The Okeh 45 called Strange features the actual Wolf Man Jack DJ as vocalist.

Originally heavily by promoted by WMJ for $1 on XERB 1090 in 1967.

"CASH! CHECK! or MONEY ORDER!"